Saturday 27 October 2007

chariots of fire

Sam Dobin, who is reading economics at Trinity, has beaten the record for the now traditional ‘Chariots of Fire’ 367 metres race. Today the 19 year-old student completed the course in 42.77 seconds, 0.83 seconds faster than Lord Burghley, who first set the record in 1927. To succeed, competitors must run round Trinity College's Great Court in the 43.6 seconds it takes for the college's clock to strike 12.
Looking in the Cambridge University website to make the link, I found instead a more interesting and deeply moving report: the Recorded video message from Professor Stephen Hawking to mark the opening of the Stephen Hawking Building for Gonville and Caius College.
Whether you have been graced by legs faster than the wind or by a mathematical mind, the lesson is clear, one must do more than merely taking a waiting attitude!


Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!